Thursday, June 29, 2017

Renfest Dress Progress

Hey-o! For the last couple of weeks, I've been working on my Renaissance Festival costume. I've made a few changes to the costume plans. Instead of making a veil I'm going to knit a Tudor style hat, I'm knitting a shawl, I bought a corset belt online, and I'm going to make a cross stitch purse. I also decided that it would be easier to make my main dress in two parts, so it would be quicker to put on.


So far I've finished the shift. I used this pattern for it and I think it turned out really well.

Adding binding to the neckline.

The finished shift before embroidery.

The pattern was easy to make, but the armholes were confusing. I think it was because I was hand sewing, but if you use a sewing machine it would be fine.



I used 1 strand of DMC Black for the embroidery and just did an alternating cross pattern on the cuffs and neck.






I'm almost done with the corset. I decided to not use boning in it because I have never worn a boned corset before and I don't think an all-day festival would be a good place to start. So instead I used heavy weight denim and covered it with the cotton I used for the shift.



After I sewed the layers together, I sewed this cool hook closure tape onto the front opening.


After that, I sewed on quilt binding to the edges.


At the moment, I'm sewing the eyelets and I think I might do a tutorial on it.


So that's about it, thanks for reading and I'll see you next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment